Since 2012, womenswear label Toton has successfully established itself as a contemporary ready-to-wear label that manage to marry Indonesian culture and heritage with a modern point of view.
This is, of course, thanks to designer Toton Januar’s vision and his love of re-interpreting techniques and traditions. On top of that, the label has also won the prestigious International Woolmark Prize Asia Regional Final 2016/2017 in womenswear category. An incredible feat, given that it was the first time where only selected Indonesian designers were invited to participate in the competition.
Here, we turn to the designer to share with us a list of ten simple rules when it comes to fashion.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness
- Black is like that one best friend who holds your hair when you throw up.
- Fashion is a cruel killer; don’t let yourself be a victim.
- Great pair of shoes.
- The fit of the clothes is substantial.
- Have a personal style. If you can’t afford one, get a personal stylist.
- Be comfortable, whether you are in slouchy t-shirt or a pair five-inch stilettos.
- The rule is really no rules; just express yourself. Explore, then edit.
- Enjoy yourself.
- Always be kind. At the end that’s what matters the most.